20% Tax Claim on Dental Treatment
Here at Smile Hub Dental Clinic in Bayside Medical Centre you can claim your standard rate of 20% tax relief on non-routine dental care. To qualify for tax relief on dental care it must have been carried out by qualified dentists or hygienists. You can also claim tax relief for non-routine dental procedures that have been done in other countries but the practitioner carrying out the procedure must be a qualified dentist under that countries law. Below is a list of treatments that are or are not claimable for tax relief.
Routine dental care – You cannot claim relief on the following routine dental care treatments:
- scaling or cleaning
- tooth extraction
- providing or repairing artificial teeth or dentures.
Non-routine dental treatments – You can claim relief on the following non-routine dental treatments:
- veneers or Rembrandt type etched fillings
- tip replacing
- gold posts or fibreglass posts
- inlays (a smaller version of a gold crown). You can only claim relief for gold if they are made outside the mouth.
- endodontics (root canal treatment)
- periodontal treatment for gum disease such as:
- root planing (including curettage and debridement) and gum flaps
- chrome cobalt splints (but not if it contains teeth)
- implants (including bone grafting and bone augmentation)
- orthodontic treatment (provision of braces and related treatments)
- surgical extraction of impacted wisdom teeth
- bridgework (an enamel-retained bridge or a tooth-supported bridge).
Claiming Dental Expenses
To claim tax relief on non-routine dental expenses a patient must:
- Include the amount paid for the non-routine dental procedure in your health expenses under the heading Non-Routine.
- You must have your dentist complete and sign a Med 2 form stating the procedure done.
- If you receive treatment over more than one year, it must be filled on two separate Med 2 forms for each year.
The Med 2 is not a claim form and does not need to be sent to Revenue. It is important to keep it as Revenue may need it to check your claim.
If you have any further queries regarding claiming dental expenses please contact Smile Hub Dental Clinic at 01 5253888 or visit www.revenue.ie for more information.