Nutritional Tips for Good Oral Health
Here at Smile Hub Dental Clinic, we inform our patients about how important our diet is for our oral health. Choosing the correct foods in your diet can help improve overall health in your body and mouth. A nutritious diet is made up of a mix of carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, proteins and fats. It is important to have the correct amount of these because even healthy foods can become unhealthy if you consume too much of them. A bad diet can leave you feeling tired and affect your immune system which can make your more prone to illness. A bad diet can also have a huge affect on your oral health as unhealthy foods with lots of sugar and saturated fats can be the main causes of tooth decay and gum disease.
Foods with lots of starch and sugar easily stick to your teeth and once this happens bacteria which is in the mouth will feed off this and grow. Acidic foods are also bad as they attack your enamel which is the hard protective outer layer of the tooth. Once this wears down the inner layer called the dentine is exposed and this can lead to many dental problems. This is why it is so important to brush and floss your teeth twice a day to remove these foods that stay on the teeth that can cause tooth decay and erosion. If you can rinse your mouth out with water or mouthwash after eating it can help to neutralise the acid in the mouth and can remove any trapped food caught in the teeth. If you have had acidic or sugary foods, wait one hour to brush your teeth as this can lead to your enamel wearing away. Regular dental visits here at Smile Hub Dental Clinic are also vital to keep up good oral hygiene.
Here are Smile Hub Dental Clinic’s tips for a healthy diet and a healthy Smile.
- Drink a lot of water daily as it helps absorb nutrients and keep the body hydrated. It also keeps the mouth moist and washes away plaque and bacteria.
- Avoid or limit the intake of acidic and sugary drinks such as fizzy drinks, energy drinks or alcohol. These drinks contain ingredients which cause enamel erosion and leads to tooth decay.
- Follow the guidelines of the food pyramid to ensure you get all of your necessary nutrients to keep a balanced diet for a healthy body.
- Limit the amount of snacking daily and try to eat only at meal times like breakfast lunch and dinner.
- If you do snack, make it a nutritious food such as fruit or nuts.
- If you are having something sweet try to eat it with one of your 3 meals a day to limit the amount of acid attacks on your teeth.
- Eat various vegetable daily
- Eat calcium rich foods to keep your bones and teeth strong and healthy.
- Try to eat lean proteins such as poultry or fish to get the nutrients you need without bad fats.
Changing your diet to a healthy one, can have so many positive affects on your mind and body. Make it your goal to improve your diet to improve your health.
If you would like any information on how to have a healthy diet which can help your oral health contact Smile Hub Dental Club on 01 5253 888 or book online.