REGULAR VISITS TO YOUR DENTAL HYGIENIST ARE ESSENTIAL FOR YOUR ORAL HEALTH.
Hygienists are many here at Smile Hub Dental Clinic. They play a crucial role on the dental team.
Additionally, they are crucial in preserving oral hygiene in patients undergoing implant, orthodontic, or crown and bridge therapy, where impeccable oral cleanliness is required, as well as in individuals with a history of gum disease to prevent any relapse.
Why Is It Important To Have Healthy Gums?
- It is important to take good care of your gums by brushing after meals and flossing daily to remove food particles between and around your teeth, and to prevent the formation of plaque on tooth surfaces.
- If plaque is not removed, it can release toxins that irritate and inflame the gums, causing a condition called gingivitis- also known as gum disease. Bleeding gums is the initial sign of gum disease. If not treated, gingivitis can progress into periodontal disease, a low-grade infection of the gums that can slowly and painlessly destroy the gums and bones around your teeth.
- Periodontal disease can lead to your teeth feeling loose, ‘drifting’ or ‘moving’ and eventually loss of teeth.
What Treatment Does The Hygienist Carry Out?
- Oral Hygiene Instruction- Demonstration and advice on a variety of techniques, with each patient until they understand the importance and develop good oral hygiene skills of their own as it is the patient’s daily care that maintains good gums and dental health in the long term.
- Scale and polish- This is a complete cleaning of the teeth. It includes cleaning below the gum line to remove plaque and tartar that can cause gum disease, cavities, bad breath and other problems. The teeth and gums may be numbed for this procedure to make it more comfortable.
- Airflow Abrasion- A gentle way to remove staining from teeth, ideal before weddings and other big occasions.
- Root surface debridement- The dentist will refer patients to the hygienist who require deep cleaning (root surface debridement) carried out with Local anaesthetic. This can be done through several appointments
How Long is The Appointment?
Depending on the patient’s oral hygiene level, hygiene visits are often 30 to 45 minute appointments. How frequently they need to see you will be suggested by your hygienist.
At Smile Hub Dental Clinic, we give our patients the information and training necessary to achieve the greatest outcomes. Our dentists are highly qualified, and our prices are reasonable.